Monday, December 29, 2014

Not to miss - Givenchy in Madrid


If you’re going to Madrid in the next couple of days or you’re an admirer of Givenchy’s work (in which case you simply must hop on a plane and go!) there is one stop you must take upon your visit to the city - The Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum. This is where you’ll be able to enjoy a retrospective on of the greatest designers of the 21st century - Hubert de Givenchy.

I enjoy going to museums and art galleries under any circumstances but whenever there is a fashion related exhibition I am the first in line. I’ve stumbled  upon Givenchy posters while walking around Madrid earlier this month and was surprised to see that there is an exhibition being held while I was visiting the capital of Spain. I didn’t think too long and strutted towards the Museum. Now I can honestly admit that this was the best thing I’ve seen in a long time!

Exhibition presented a selection of Hubert de Givenchy’s creations, mostly cocktail dresses which women have been loving for years now. I was extremely happy to see Audrey Hepburn’s dresses especially the one from ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’. Audrey and Givenchy were creating a very magical muse – designer couple and have collaborated for years while growing their work relationship into a true friendship. Sometimes I get to wonder would there even be The Audrey Hepburn without Givenchy’s fashion and vice versa? Whichever the answer might be I am very glad they found each other since their common love for fashion let us experience and appreciate true works of art. until today.

The exhibition itself focuses on Givenchy’s career from founding of the Givenchy Fashion House in 1952 up to his retirement in 1996. What’s so great about it is that the designer curated the retrospective himself looking after its every detail. Besides Audrey’s dresses there are some which belonged to his other famous clients like Jacqueline Kennedy, Caroline of Monaco or Duchess of Windsor.

I am highly recommending Givenchy’s retrospective if you only have a chance to go to Madrid! It’s opened only until January 18th so everybody interested need to hurry. Trust me it’s worth it!

‘till next time,


M.

















No comments:

Post a Comment