Monday, March 29, 2010

ACADEMY AWARDS 2010



The Awards season is my favorite time of the whole year. I love movies as much as I love fashion and in my opinion those two worlds cannot exist without each other. Whenever I see my favorite actresses promoting themselves and their movies during the Golden Globes, Critics Choice Awards, Screen Actors Guilde and finally the Oscars, it almost makes me feel like I’m one of the nominated people!
I love watching those great pictures of actresses wearing those remarkable gowns, looking wonderful with the perfect make – up and hair styling. This season there was some rain especially during the Golden Globes, British Baftas and finally at the Oscars, but it didn’t stop the stars to dress properly to the red carpet event. Unfortunately this great period has finished now and I’ve got some time to sum it up. First of all let’s look at the most important event in the movie industry of the whole year – The Oscars 2010.
There’s been a lot of fuss about the Academy Awards as it is every year. Starting with the host (this year there were two of them Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin), who is going to win, is James Cameron going to be bitten up by his ex – wife Kathryn Bigelow and of course who is going to wear whom? We can discuss long about the event itself but let’s focus on what happened before – the red carpet. Five nominated for the main award actresses looked trés chic, each and every one of them showing us their unique personalities. Sandra Bullock has won her first Oscar in her long and achieved carrier. She wore a sparkly Marchesa dress with Neil Lane jewels and a Celestina clutch. She looked like an award itself and I believe nobody even considered that The Blind Side star will walk home without an Oscar.



Sandra’s fellow nominees wore:

Meryl Streep looked stunning and age appropriate in a gorgeous Chris March gown, with Fred Leighton jewels and a Swarovski clutch


Helen Mirren was glowing in Badgley Mischka creation, which she combined with Chopard jewels.


Carey Mulligan, who was a newbie to the Oscars, wore a black Prada design with Fred Leighton jewels.


Gabourey Sidibe, as an Academy Award winner Sandra Bullock, wore a Marchesa gown, with Lorraine Schwartz jewels.


I must say that there were so many amazing looks during the Academy Awards that it’s even hard for me to choose the best ten not mentioning three!!! As I was choosing dresses number 7,8,9 I’ve realized that they should have been closer to the top. Let’s assume then that those 10 dresses are the best of the best! Here is my subjective list of:

10 Best Red Carpet Looks At The Oscars 2010:



1.Diane Kruger, in Chanel Haute Couture, with Chanel Fine Jewelry jewels and a Chanel clutch.
When I saw Diane walking down the red carpet, I was truly amazed. She looked incredible in her Chanel Haute Couture. Truly a stunning dress and a perfect look for Diane. She’s one of my favorite style inspirations and with this dress she proves that she really is one the best dressed actresses in Hollywood.



2.Sarah Jessica Parker, in Chanel Haute Couture, with Fred Leighton jewels and Nicholas Kirkwood shoes.
Sarah is a number two on my list, even though I was thinking at the moment if it wasn’t number 1. It’s hard sometimes to grade a dress when it looks a little bit different “live” on TV and a bit different in the pictures. When I saw Sarah’s gown during !E’s Red Carpet Special I thought it looked incredible, great style, colors. Then next day in the pictures it didn’t look as amazing. It was really hard for me to find a picture that would do its justice. In the end I loved this dress and it made it to number 2.


3.Rachel McAdams, in Elie Saab Haute Couture.
I am a big fan of Rachel McAdam’s ever since Mean Girls and the Notebook but Rachel is all grown up now and I’ve been waiting to see her in some grown up movies and in some grown up clothes. Finally this year she’s starred in two great films and at this year’s Academy Awards she’s proved to be a star-to-watch. Her Ellie Saab gives a very fresh and at the same time sophisticated look. Love it and can’t wait for more.


4.Kate Winslet, in Yves Saint Laurent, with Tiffany & Co. jewels.

When I think of Kate I think old Hollywood glamour. I was keeping my fingers crossed for her to finally get an Oscar for years, ever since the Titanic. Finally last year she’s won the Academy Award and this year she came to present the best actor category. Her silver YSL gown looked beautiful with her blond hair and fair skin.


5.Zoe Saldana, in Givenchy Haute Couture.

When Zoe stepped out of her limo on the Oscar night I thought WOW! An Avatar star looked amazing in her Givenchy dress. And those colors! I love how the silver gets mixed with purple and black feathers. It was a very bold decision to dress like that to the event of the year. She’s sported some great looks during this award season and with “Avatar 2” in the works I feel like we’ve got something to be looking for.


6.Demi Moore, in Atelier Versace, with Van Cleef & Arpels jewels, a Salvatore Ferragamo clutch, and Versace shoes.
Demi is not a newcomer to the big events but she’s made quite a comeback to the Oscars. In her Versace dress she definitely was one of the best dressed people at the event. Her gown looked perfectly on her tanned skin. I cannot say I’m a huge fan of Demi’s but I’m for sure fan of her look.

7.Vera Farmiga, in Marchesa, with Fred Leighton jewels.
Vera’s been playing in movies for years now. But if it wasn’t for Up in the Air, she might have still remained unrecognizable. At the Oscars she definitely was seen and was totally out there. She looked a vision in dark pink Marchesa. And even though she didn’t win, Vera was definitely one of the best dressed nominated actresses.


8.Penélope Cruz, in Donna Karan, with Chopard jewels.
I love Penelope Cruz. It doesn’t matter whether she plays for Almodovar in Spanish or Allen in English. She is a truly talented actress and a great fashion inspiration. I remember her amazing dress from last year and this time she didn’t disappoint either. Donna Karan dress was a great choice for her.


9.Cameron Diaz, in Oscar de la Renta, with Cartier jewels.
I remember Cameron from last year’s Kids Choice Awards when she presented an award with her co-stars from My sister’s keeper. I recall thinking that she got really mature. Of course it was nothing strange when other girls standing on stage with her, were teenagers. But it wasn’t just about her appearance. It was also about the way she dressed. I hoped that Cameron would grow up a little in the ways she dresses especially when she’s working with Rachel Zoe and usually looks amazing. Finally during this year’s Oscars she showed a huge class and looked stunning.


10.Jennifer Lopez, in Armani Privé, Cartier jewels and Salvatore Ferragamo shoes/ Amanda Seyfried, in Armani Privé.
This last spot I’ve decided to give to a pair of actresses. They both wore fabulous dresses from Armani Privé and I couldn’t decide which one to choose. When I first saw Jennifer’s dress I thought – what a great shape but wasn’t sure about whether it’s a good choice for the Oscars. Then I’ve realized that this is exactly what you should wear to an event like this – a design, which can help you to make a statement. Then Big Love’s star Amanda Seyfried arrived and I was blown away by the structure of her dress. The gown was so shiny that it didn’t need any accessories. Amanda looked amazing in her Armani and I think that was her best look yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment