Monday, September 5, 2011

68th Venice Film Festival 2011


Movies and fashion do mix as I always say and my perfect job would be to mix both! I’m obsessed with films. I need to watch all the new ones that are hitting theaters, catch up on the oldies and additionally find some time to re-watch my favorites. I wish I could have just a few more hours in a day! I’ve been to a few international movie festivals but only in Poland. Of course I hope one day I’ll be able to go to Cannes, Berlin or Venice. That would be great to be able to see the movies plus all my favorite celebs on the red carpet!


This year’s Venice Film Festival, that opened last week, has to offer some amazing cinema, plus the actors that are promoting their movies there. I must say that content wise Venice 2011 seems simply amazing.
In the main competition there are 22 films competing against each other. I could not wait to see at least few of them! Here are my favorites:

The opening movie THE IDES OF MARCH a new movie directed by George Clooney, who got to invite an amazing cast including Ryan Gosling, Philip Seymour Hoffman,Paul Giamatti and beautiful Evan Rachel Wood and Marisa Tomei. The movie is about an idealistic staffer for a newbie presidential candidate gets a crash course on dirty politics during his stint on the campaign trail. Based on the play by Beau Willimon.
The crowd went crazy when Mr Clooney appeared on the red carpet. Ryan Gossling wasn’t in attendance unfortunately due to his work.


Another hope-to-be amazing picture A DANGEROUS METHOD, directed by David Cronenberg and again with a dream cast – beautiful Keira Knightley, Viggo Mortensen and Micheal Fassbender (whom I love ;)).The movie is about a look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis. And Keira's character has lots to do with it...


I’m really looking forward to watch a new movie by one of the greatest directors of all time (and a Pole), Roman Polanski. CARNAGE with Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz and John C. Reilly. The movie tells the story of two sets of parents who decide to have a cordial meeting after their sons are involved in a schoolyard brawl. 

Last but not least a new version of WUTHERING HEIGHTS has a premiere at the festival. I’m a huge fan of the book and of the 1992 movie version with Ralph Finnes and Juliette Bonoche. This time the Skins actress – Kaya Scodelario got her chance to play Cathy and I’m really excited to see what she’s done with the character, especially since I really liked her Effy in Skins. I think it might be a break for her.


But enough about movies. Let’s talk about who wore what to the premiers and press conferences.

I’ve spoken before about Keira Knightley. Keira is my one my favorites. I love her style and movies choices. This time she stars in an even more dramatic role in the "Dangerous Method". Both of her looks at the Festival amazed me. The press conference look, where she wore a Mary Katrantzou Fall '11 was simply fabulous! A premiere look was like taken out of a period drama. Keira knows how to play with fashion. 








My favorite Diane Kruger got two fantastic looks in Venice. Even though she wasn’t there promoting any of her movies, as a L’Oreal face, she looked incredible first at the premiere of “Ides of March”, where she wore an Elie Saab gown and later on at the party where she rocked a Chanel Haute Couture.





Jessica Chastain in on fire theses few past months – first her role in the Cannes Festival winner The “Tree of Life” against Brad Pitt, then “The Help”- a movie based on a bestselling novel, which tops box office in America 3 weeks in a row! I was lucky enough to see it last night and must say I loved it, especially Jessica as Celia Foote – just as I imagined this character! And now Jessica is in Venice to promote her newest picture “Wilde Salome”, in which she stars opposite Al Pacino! Wow what a career! At the premiere of her new film Jessica wore an Elie Saab gown.





Now what’s left to do is to wait and see when would those movies get to the regular movie theaters all around the world. Please make It fast ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment